Who is responsible for your personal data?
Thames Lettings is responsible for your personal data. We are Thames Lettings Ltd, registered in England and Wales. Company number: 7769943. Registered address: 122 Middlesex Street, London E1 7HY.
Which personal data do we collect?
The personal data may include:
- Contact information, such as your name, job title, postal address, including your home address, where you have provided this to us, business address, telephone number, mobile phone number, fax number and email address;
- Bank details retained for the purposes of making payments to you;
- ID documents (eg. passport, driving licence, visa / residence permits, land registry documents) and your date of birth for the purposes of referencing and confirming the identity of clients for whom we arrange tenancies.
How do we collect your personal data?
We may collect data about you in a number of circumstances, including:
- When you provide your contact details when contacting us in relation to your property search or in relation to letting your property, either via a property portal (eg. Rightmove or Zoopla), via our website, or by email or telephone.
- When, as a potential tenant, you complete our referencing form.
- When we expressly request such data from you in relation to arranging a new tenancy for you.
- When we do a Land Registry search to confirm the ownership of a property.
Are you required to provide personal data?
As a general principle, you will provide us with your personal data entirely voluntarily and you are under no obligation to do so. However, there will be circumstances where we cannot carry out the services we offer without collecting such data (eg. for the purposes of contacting you regarding suitable properties, for referencing purposes and for ongoing administration of tenancies). We will request these details from you expressly and will be happy to explain why these details are required.
For which purposes will we use your personal data?
We may use your personal data for the following purposes only (“Permitted Purposes”):
- To respond to your questions or requests regarding letting or renting a property.
- To contact you about your property requirements.
- To send you details of properties which match your requirements.
- To keep you updated on changes in market conditions or legislation.
- To personalise your experience on our websites.
With regard to marketing-related communications, we will – where legally required – only provide you with such information after you have opted in and we will provide you with the opportunity to opt-out at any time.
We may also use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To do referencing and background checks as part of the letting process.
- To draw up the required legal documents as part of the letting process.
- To conduct our business including processing payments, billing and collection of rent.
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
- To comply with court orders and exercises and/or defend our legal rights.
- For any purpose related and/or ancillary to any of the above or any other purpose for which your personal data was provided to us.
Depending on which of the above Permitted Purposes we use your personal data, we may process your personal data on one or more of the following legal grounds:
- Because processing is necessary for the performance of a client instruction or other contract with you.
- To comply with our legal obligations (e.g. to keep records for tax purposes).
- Because processing is necessary for purposes of our legitimate interest, provided that such interests are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights or freedoms.
In addition, the processing of your personal data may be based on your consent where you have expressly given this to us.
With whom will we share your personal data?
We may share your personal data in the following circumstances:
- We may share your personal data with referencing agencies during the process of renting a property and we may share the resulting reference report with the landlord(s) of the property so they can confirm they are satisfied with the report and to proceed with the tenancy.
- We may share your personal data with our tenancy progression software provider to allow them to generate the appropriate tenancy documents for online signing and process payments.
- We may share your personal data with utility companies / council tax authorities.
- We may share your personal data with other letting agencies in the event we locate a suitable property via another agency and you decide to proceed with renting the property.
- We may share your personal data (telephone number and/or email address) with maintenance contractors we instruct to visit your rented property for the purposes of contacting you to gain access for repairs or maintenance.
- We may share your personal data with Building Managers or Concierges of buildings where you rent a property for the purposes of keeping you updated with useful information about the building and to allow them to contact you in case of emergency.
- We may share your personal data with law enforcement authorities and courts.
- If this business is sold or integrated with another business your details may be disclosed to our advisors and prospective purchasers and their advisors.
Otherwise, we will only disclose your personal data when you direct us to do so or give us permission, when we are required by applicable law or judicial request to do so, or as required to investigate actual or suspected fraudulent or criminal activities.
Keeping your personal data secure
We will take appropriate technical and organisational measures to keep your personal date confidential and secure in accordance with our internal procedures covering the storage, disclosure and access to personal data. Personal data may be kept electronically or in paper files. The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA").
Updating your personal data
If any of the personal data you have provided to us changes (eg. you change your email address or phone number) or you become aware that we have inaccurate personal data about you, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For how long do we retain your personal data?
Your personal data will be deleted when it is no longer reasonably required for the Permitted Purposes or you withdraw your consent (where applicable) and we are not legally required or otherwise permitted to continue storing such data. We will, in particular, retain your personal data where required for us to assert or defend against legal claims until the end of the relevant retention period or until the claims in question have been settled.
Your data rights
To the extent provided for by applicable law, you have the right to request a copy of the personal data about you which we hold, to have any inaccurate personal data corrected, to erase the personal data we hold, and to object and restrict our using of your personal data. If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us either by phone on 020 7247 7659 or email email@example.com. We will consider any requests or complaints we receive and will provide you with a response in a timely manner. If you are not satisfied with our response you may take your complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office.